Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I believe I may be dealing with ADHD. My brother was

Customer Question

I believe I may be dealing with ADHD. My brother was diagnosed and my 8 year old son has been diagnosed with ADD. How can I know for sure and what effective treatments are available, other than amphetamines?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. The only way to know for sure if you may have ADHD is to get a thorough assessment with a psychologist or a psychiatrist that specializes in treating adult developmental disorders (ADHD is a developmental disorder). After the completion of such an assessment, the doctor will determine if you have ADHD or not (or possibly another psychological disorder that may resemble ADHD). If you would prefer not to take a stimulant based medication like Adderall, Ritalin, or Vyvanse than you can request a non-stimulant called Strattera which is specifically meant to treat ADHD. Also the use of Wellbutrin has an off-label use for treating ADHD. While I understand your hesitance to use a stimulant based medication if you do have ADHD, I do have to tell you these medications are typically more effective than the non-stimulant medications.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks but I was hoping you could lead me through the assments online. My PCP wants back up before prescribing anything.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

There is no valid and reliable assessment that can be used online unfortunately. All of the online self-assessments are not considered valid or accurate. I have done hundreds of assessments for ADHD and other developmental disorders and the only ones that are valid have to be done face to face with a trained psychologist or psychiatrist

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. You told me what I needed to know.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

You are most welcome. I truly wish you all the best