Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My husband recently has been isolating mself. He is

Customer Question

My husband recently has been isolating himself. He is extremely angry, agitated, can't sleep. He said he is numb and can't feel anything for anyone. He refuses to have any physical contact with me at all. He has an extremely high pressure job and was my sole caregiver during the past two years while I fought cancer. Should I refuse to give into his request for isolation or not? I am at a loss. He has always been the epitome of selflessness, compassion, kindness and love to everyone.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. it sounds like your husband is experiencing a possible mood and anxiety disorder from what you described and giving him space would be best, ***** ***** the condition that he talk to his doctor or a therapist about these issues so that he can resolve them. Just getting space is not enough to help lessen these symptoms and behavioral issues, as he needs to look towards a better coping strategy than just pushing people away. While space is good for him right now because he feels overwhelmed, it will only help temporarily, which is why he needs to focus on treatment with a therapist or psychotropic medications.