Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am 78 and have a problem with my daughter-in-law age 52.

Customer Question

Hello. I am 78 and have a problem with my daughter-in-law age 52. She has forbidden her husband, my only child (birth) From calling me or talking to me on the phone. She has blocked my phone # ***** their phones. I am ill, my husband is 85 and I can't deal with
husband ready to die, me: two kinds of arthritis, fibromyalgia, sprained ankle and tendon/ligament problems, diabetes and misc. other ailments. My son is 53 and old enough to call me on his own if he wanted- right? I guess I have to wait. But it is literally killing me. It has been 4 months since we talked and she has a mental illness and drinks/drugs/
but I need to have my son. Misc. problems here, any help ? He believes untruths that were told his wife by a third party, stating that I said evil things about her children, my own grandchildren. I agreed with this third party when she told me: THEY ARE USERS. ALL OF THEM. Now I am blamed for initiating this comment, but I did say, "They can be."
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately it sounds like your son is being manipulated by his wife against you and your husband, but the only way for him to break out of that would be if he chooses to contact you. Remember you are only in control of your own actions and behaviors, just like he is the only one that has control of his actions. Is there any way you can try to contact him indirectly like through another family member or family friend? Or can you email him directly to his own personal account?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
y my son will have to contact me cant e b
Majlm .aoi. mail or call.
K. I wanna die now
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

It is definitely up to your son to respond to your inquiries as you cannot force him or that will only push him away. I know this is very difficult for you and I wish there was a better way, but the choice has to be his alone to make.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Also what about having a family member or friend of the family try to talk to your son?