How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question

Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1376
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a pretty rough life from parental rejection to

Customer Question

I have had a pretty rough life from parental rejection to beaten by a ex spouse and running for my life, only to have him come back after a short time and murder my fiancee in front of me and my children. That was in '97'. How can I get the nightmares of my past to go away and began repairing my life without the use of narcotics and large amounts of alcohol? How do I love another without being scared to let my guard down due to past situations?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you have had to endure these tragedies and traumas in your life, but it sounds like the only way for you to overcome these long-term traumatic symptoms would be through the use of therapy and possibly psychotropic medications. Most psychotropic medications are non-addictive so they are perfectly safe to take if you choose too. But I would highly recommend that you find a psychologist in your area that deals with trauma and uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as that is a very effective therapy to help people move forward and regain their lives from past trauma.

Related Mental Health Questions