Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have a best friend years. He became addicted to heroin. He

Customer Question

I have a best friend for 4 years. He became addicted to heroin. He is 23 and I am 52. He is gay. I am straight. We are roommates. He has been clean for 6 days after a termultuious 4 months. My problem is the feelings of intense rage and jealousy i feel when he talks about how he would sell himself for money to get h. What the he'll is that about?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It is very difficult to fully understand why you have these feelings entirely because it would take at least a few months of therapy to understand your inner thought process and emotional structure to understand who you are. But if I were to speculate, I would say that your anger and jealousy could come from how you feel he has wasted his life so far and continues to do so with these remarks that he would sell himself, and the jealousy part could be because you feel that he has more opportunities in his life at his age (or possibly now) than you did (or do) and that makes you feel somewhat jealous he would say that. There is also the psychosexual part where you feel that he may be an attractive person, but you yourself are not attracted to him, although you wish you could have his physical looks. Like I said it is hard to understand exactly what is going on because I have never met you or analyzed you face to face, these would only be speculations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am female
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Oh it listed your gender as male for some reason, but you may have selected that for your friend. The jealousy then could be because you are attracted to him despite that he is gay and that he would sell himself upsets you on a subconscious level because you would rather be with him.