Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I would like to know if it's normal to intake automatically

Customer Question

Hi I would like to know if it's normal for someone to intake automatically everyone's emotions and they become drained very quickly cause how much emotions could one person handle? And if not normal how could a person stop himself of doing that? I have tons of issues please help me I don't wanna commit suicide!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. So I want to make sure I understand this, you feel overwhelmed by other people's emotions, not your own internal emotions? Does this mean you feel more at peace when alone and not around others? Are you currently in therapy or taking any psychotropic medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's much better when I'm alone but yea I do like people but it's hard for me to be around cause I get overwhelmed by their emotions and yes I'm on mess. Zoloft and Trazadone. I am not in therapy but I've gone already to a lot of therapists and no one was able to help me do to my intense emotions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My emotions are so intense that no one and myself can not handle it
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you are emotionally sensitive to others which is not considered normal and can be a symptom of a mood disorder like Depression or possibly Anxiety. If therapy has not been helpful for you than most likely you do need a medication adjustment. What dose of the Zoloft and Trazodone are you on and for how long have you been on these two medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a very warm and loving person. I'm not aggressive I don't have anger in me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd rather text
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mess are good. While I'm on it
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I understand, but you are still emotionally sensitive. So if the medications are effective for you than what exactly are you looking for with your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just that every time my life throws me down in to the ocean I feel like I can't handle it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel ccoked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Choked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved out of my parents home and I don't have any fundings for therapy
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Those are signs of a possible Mood Disorder from what you described as you are feeling overwhelmed. This could be a neurobiological issue where you may have to stay on the medications indefinitely to help manage your symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not true I just have to learn how to deal with my emotions in the right way and where it is healthy to put in my intense emotions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Help me please I can't take it anymore
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I so badly want to be healthy. I have so much to contrive to the world
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanna feel content enjoy life and make a difference
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

But you have stated that you have tried multiple therapists and they have been ineffective which suggests that you need to be stable on medications before undergoing any form of therapy again. Remember this is not a treatment website, I can only suggest different treatment options for you, but you are the one that will have to find a provider to provide such treatment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what when where who could help me. I was actually stable for 6 weeks until something came up now and threw me back into the ocean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I wrote the question it says that you answer questions. So why don't you answer me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Then you may need to ask your doctor to increase the medication dose of your Zoloft to help you combat this stressor in your life. And for the long-term you should try to consider a form of therapy called Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). Here is a good website that explains how DBT works, but you will need to find a therapist in your area to provide it for you.

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But that's so expensive and from where could I have funding
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I so badly wanna be healthy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just envy the people thhat are healthy so much
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I understand that therapy can be expensive. There are free/low cost clinics that may be able to help you. Here is a link to find ones in your area.

http://www.needymeds.org/free-clinics

Unfortunately treatment in this country usually costs money, even more so for mental health treatment, so if you are looking to undergo therapy than it probably will cost money. For right now I would recommend stabilizing on an increased dose of the Zoloft or adding augment to the Zoloft if you are at the maximum dose already.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But sorry I'm really not satisfied you didn't answer me on how to not intake others emotions
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Well its not a simple matter of just doing this one thing and you will be fine. You may have a severe mood or personality disorder from what you described and that requires intense treatment with the medications and like I said DBT therapy. That is the answer to your question on what you need, but you are not going to resolve this over night, it will take months for you to master the treatment therapy to truly manage your symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I want an answer. I visited this website cause it says that they answer questions so I'd like to hear an answer for my question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you don't answer me I want to have my money back as it says that of not satisfied you will get your money back
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

The answer is DBT therapy and a possible increase or change in your medications. You want to better control your emotional sensitivity to others, well unfortunately that is going to take a systematic treatment process that requires DBT therapy.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You can request a refund with customer service if you wish. Unfortunately you are looking for a simple answer to something that requires months if not over a year of treatment to help you manage this emotional sensitivity. Good luck and I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't wanna hear where I have to go to get my answers I want the answers from you. That's why I'm here
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

This is not a treatment website, I can only tell you how to resolve your issues and that is through treatment that I suggested. The answer to your question is DBT therapy and a possible medication adjustment.