TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

Is it possible to unintentionally develop an eating

Customer Question

Is it possible to unintentionally develop an eating disorder? So, here's the deal. Recently, people have been pointing out how small I've gotten. Of course, I would always shake my head in disagreement, and laugh when they'd say I should eat more. Because I eat a lot, right? At least.. That what I thought.. Until one day I had decided to go donate blood, (you have to weight at least 110 pounds, but you probably know that.) and before I had a chance to even finish the paperwork a nurse came over and asked how much I weighted. It had been awhile since I weighted myself so I just said the last I could remember. 125. Let me tell you, this nurse gave me the weirdest look, then basically threw me on a scale. 105. I weighed 105 pounds. THIS COMPLETELY BLEW MY MIND. In middle school I was a little over weight, about 145 pounds(I've been 5'2 since 7th grade). So, My doctor had advised cutting out soda, given the history of obesity in my family he was a little concerned. So, that exactly what I did. I even joined a gym for a little while. I lost about 20 pounds, and for me, that was that. I had acomplished my goal. I was happy, and healthy. I felt GEART. I did quit going to the gym after about a year, and I don't really exercise much anymore. (I'm 18, now.) Between working 7 days a week, and preparing for college I haven't had the time, and dieting has never really been my thing. I mean, who doesn't love food? So, I had honestly expected to gain weight more so than lose it... So when that 105 popped up, I freaked.. It's been a few months since then and I've noticed I've been forgetting to eat... More often the not, my stomach hurts and growls. I feel sick and nauseous. Of course, I now realized it's because I haven't been eating properly... But what really blows my mind is that I hadn't even noticed.. I'm the type of person who just eats whenever I'm hungry, sort of mindlessly. So, I just figured I had been eating perfectly fine. But it's gotten to the point where I KNOW I should eat. I KNOW that's why I always feel so crappy, but I just can't bring myself too.. I'm always too late, and my stomachs too upset to even think about food. So.. I guess I was just wondering if it were possible to develop and eating disorder unintentionally? It's sounds so insane, I know. But I have no desire to lose weight, at all. I'm getting worried, should I seek professional help, or can I fix this on my own?? Please, help me. 😭
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 1 year ago.

It can happen in the way you have mentioned and we look at behaviors and your behavior of not eating even though your belly growls is an indication that something might be going on. There might be some benefit you derive from being thin and people noticing, even if you feel unaware of what the emotional benefit is. What strikes me most is that you say you want to eat but cannot bring yourself to do so. This concerns me and yes I would suggest being seen by your primary doctor and also a therapist to try and understand what the feelings are behind the food and eating.

Let me know if I can support you further. If all good for now, please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my support so that I may be credited for my time. Thanks in advance. I am here again if you need me in the future.