Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I feel no emotions, no, happiness, sadness, empathy. I feel

Customer Question

I feel no emotions, no, happiness, sadness, empathy. I feel like my brain is "empty", I can't seem to participate in conversations the same way I used to, or do anything that used to be very important to me. I am 55, post menopausal, active, (I own 2 farms & a business) but this emptiness is becoming a huge issue.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are having these issues, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Typically this is called flat affect where you have a restricted range of emotions and feel more apathetic about nearly everything. May I ask for how long have these symptoms occurred? And have you discussed them with your doctor at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not discussed with a Dr. It has been gradual, probably a couple of years, now. Just hit home this morning, when I realized I had a Christmas tree with only lights....I usually decorate entire home, inside & out.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately it does sound like you are suffering from a major depressive disorder from what you described as a flat affect like this is akin to a severe depressive disorder. I am not sure what may have happened in your life n the last two years to have contributed to this, or it could be a neurobiological issue that can occur after menopause. Either way though, I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor to get a prescription for a SSRI antidepressant like Lexapro or Zoloft, and to be referred to a psychologist for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as this is the most effective form of therapy to treat depressive symptoms.

The good news is that this can be treated and resolved, but it will take some time for the medications and therapy to work.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.