Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I was a toxic mom with sever ocd. My son developed ptsd,

Customer Question

I was a toxic mom with sever ocd. My son developed ptsd, major depression, some narcissistic and schizoid traits. He is 18 and suffering so badly. I am mostly worried about schizoid traits. He started Prozac today for his depression. Does he have any chance for his lack of empathy and schizoid traits at this age? is it too late for his personality to change or will he just learn coping skills with psychotherapy? I am devastated with guilt feeling that is unbearable.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately there is no "cure" for a personality disorder as the traits of Schizoid Personality Disorder will always be with your son, but considering that he is getting treatment early is a good sign. The Prozac will help somewhat, but a combination of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) will provide the most benefit to help prevent these Schizoid traits from deeply ingraining within his personality and identity, and the CBT therapy will help teach him the proper coping skills too. So while he will always have this disorder, the use of medication and therapy will significantly help to lessen the symptoms and impact this disorder will have on him.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The site set me to a psychiatrist not you. Why dont get I my answer from her? I am going to dispute this transaction.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

I am not sure who you are referring to, but I am the only expert in mental health online right now. Sometimes there is an error where the website shows experts no longer available on this website and that is most likely what happened here. I would still be happy to help you if you have any further questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was supposed to be charged $5 and if I am satisfied to be charged more, but you already charged me $34. that is scam
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

The experts on this website have no control over the financial issues on this website. If you have concern about financial transactions, you can contact customer service.