Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

How can I go about getting help I think has Munchausen

Customer Question

How can I go about getting help for someone I think has Munchausen Syndrome?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. A Factitious Disorder or otherwise known as Munchausen's Disorder is very difficult to treat because first off the medical doctor has to realize that Munchausen's Disorder is possible and refer the patient to psychiatry/psychology and the patient has to be open to this type of psychiatric treatment. For these reasons alone it is rare to see someone be treated with Munchausen's Disorder because most medical doctors are not trained in psychiatry and most patients will just "doctor shop" to find another doctor willing to treat what ever medical ailments are occurring. So with this being said do you have access to this individual's medical doctor, can you communicate with him/her?