Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Kaushik, I was prescribed Domperidone and also take Adderall

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Kaushik,
I was prescribed Domperidone and also take Adderall but was told by one doctor that these drugs are contra indicated because of the heart problems they could cause together which could kill you. Is that not the case? What are the risks of taking them together?
Regards,
Mary
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 11 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Well, as such these two drugs namely domperidone and adderall are not Absolutely contraindicated for their use together , quite contrary to the belief of your doctor as he dissuaded you from using both of them together and neither would their use concomitantly lead to such a heart condition at would be life threatening. So this should allay your fears about getting a life threatening situation if you knowingly or unknowingly used them together.

However, having said that I will advise you to opt for another anti emetic drug in place of domperidone since while it may not be as harmful when used in conjunction with adderall but it may lead to excess levels of adderall in the body owing to increased gastric and upper git motility that it is known to cause as a result of whichlevels of adderall may increase beyond the normal range and this may lead to increased blood pressure and palpitation and other side effects of adderall.

So you may ask your doctor to opt for a relatively safer anti emetic drug like ondansetron at dose of 2 - 4 mg in the morning empty stomach or to be taken as and when needed. This drug shall gel well with the likes of adderall.

Kindly see the link below to know more about the safety of these tw

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have to worry about QT prolongation?

No, you shall not worry about qt prolongation since this combination is not going to affect that.

However if you already have a heart condition then you should go for regular blood pressure and once in 3 months ecg check up but if this is not the case then do not worry at all.

I will encourage you to use low doses of adderall initially, say 10 mg once a day for 2 weeks and then ask the doctor to titrate up the dose.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards