Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have a very stupid situation, and I am to apoint of giving

Customer Question

good evening, I have a very stupid situation, and I am to apoint of giving up.
we have 3 girls 15, 13, and 7 they continuously pick on each other, in short the 15 and 13 year old hate each other, the 13 year old hate thee 7 year old and the 13 year old is having these moods that she hates this family, hates her mother, sometimes me too. and then closes her self up. how do i deal with this
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately it sounds like there are a lot of issues here that are much deeper than just typical sibling bickering and rebelliousness. I highly doubt just simply trying to talk about this as a family and trying to form a compromise will work given how your children behave from what you described. Ultimately it sounds like family therapy with you, your partner, and the children will be necessary so that each child can express themselves openly and can be guided on how to respond to certain situations of frustration. I am 100 percent positive that what you are telling the children is logical and fair in trying to bring peace to the household, but sometimes using an objective person can help bring the point the across further and can help the whole family. A family therapist will also help you and your partner with a different parenting strategy so that you are not unwillingly enabling their behavior, and you can help remind the children about using their therapy techniques to help resolve these issues as well.