Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have a question, mostly because I'm wondering why I am a

Customer Question

I have a question, mostly because I'm wondering why I am a certain state of mind. I feel as if I can't stand people, I am not one to feel caring for others besides family and that's about it. I don't trust anyone, and my views on love are poisoned so to say because I don't like the idea of the feeling and I see it as a lie. I have a lot of stress in my life and I have a lot of depressing thoughts and feelings because of my state. I feel also as if I need to keep myself perfect and that I hold the standard that I can do for myself but never really feel that I can achieve that and I don't understand it, I like to sketch and also express my emotions and from reviews of people they think that I have personal problems or there's something wrong with me. If you can please do help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It sounds like that you may be suffering from a mix of depression and anxiety, as depression can easily cause negative thoughts/feelings, hopelessness, emotional numbness, and overall pessimism. Have you considered seeing a psychologist for therapy and/or seeing a psychiatrist to start psychotropic medications?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I haven't thought about doing so with considering my occupation being in the military and can cause issues within the career.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

I understand that predicament, but your symptoms do sound like you have primary depression and secondary anxiety given what you described and to resolve this you would need proper treatment. You can try natural supplements of St. Johns Wort and Omega-3, as these two supplements have good anti-depressant and anti-anxiety properties. Also if you want to try to do this on your own, you can try to use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) techniques. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. Here are a few CBT techniques to give you an idea of how it works.

So this link may help you, it contains a technique I use with patients called a thought record. It will help you keep track of any negative thoughts you have. You put the negative thought on paper, the emotion accompanying, the evidence to support it, and the evidence against it. Then I want you to come up with an alternative thought for the situation (more objective and plausible). This will help you change your way of thinking to be able to think more positive and not automatically go to a negative type of thinking.

http://psychology.tools/cbt-thought-record.html

In addition, these two worksheets are very good at helping to lessen negative type thinking. It can help you focus on the big picture and the objective/positive thoughts and outcomes.

http://psychology.tools/decatastrophising.html

http://psychology.tools/what-if.html

The best CBT minded book you can purchase for less than 10 dollars is called "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by Burns as this may help you too.

Overall any treatment is going to be a process and you will not have resolution over night, but it could take several months.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.