Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

What kind of questions do medicaid appointed psychiatrist

Customer Question

what kind of questions do medicaid appointed psychiatrist ask bipolar patients to get approved for medicaid
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Typically the questions that are going to be asked are how long and frequently do the mood swings of Depression and Mania/Hypomania occur, when the symptoms first started (how old were you approximately), and to rank the symptoms on a scale of 1-10. In addition, the most significant questions will ask how the Bipolar Disorder affects your daily life and quality of life, including your ability to work. here the psychiatrist is going to gauge if you meet the criteria for a disability or not depending on the severity of the symptoms and how it affects your daily life. The psychiatrist will also ask what medications you have tried in the past and which ones worked and which ones failed; this can give an idea of how resistant your disorder is to treatment based on how many medication fails occurred and how many medications it takes to try to stabilize you. Also you want to point out if the side effects of the medications are significant and affect your quality of life, sometimes the psychiatrist does not ask this, so you want to mention it. These are the standard questions a psychiatrist will ask for medicaid approval.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.