Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have a huge problem with insomnia. My sleep was never

Customer Question

Hey there,
i have a huge problem with insomnia. My sleep was never really good 4-5 hrs max a night and at a certain point I would get a backache which wouldn`t allow my to sleep longer.
Recently 3 weeks a go it happens to me that 3 nights a week I cant sleep at all meaning I cannot sleep in and see each 30 mins on the clock
I am desperate what can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, have you spoken to your doctor about the use of prescription sleep aids?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no not yet i once tried 1mg of a benzodizepam without any effect
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

It depends on the benzodiazepine as there are many different variations with different strengths and potencies as well. Also a benzodiazepine is an addictive substance, so that may not be the first medication you want to try. If you are looking for an over the counter supplement to try, you can consider Valerian Root as this has a sedative effect and will lower your anxiety/stress too. For prescription medications a low dose of Trazodone, Doxepin, Seroquel, or Gabapentin can be considered as all of these medications cause sedation and lower anxiety/stress. The stronger medications would be Clonazepam, Temazepam, Halcion, or Zolpidem but remember all of these medications are physically addictive, so they typically should not be used in the long-term (usually 6-8 weeks at most). These are the most viable options you have to consider to help you overcome this insomnia.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.