Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I am experiencing and have been few years now something I

Customer Question

Hi Dr., I am experiencing and have been for a few years now something I would truly like to elimiate out of my life. I have been hearing voices and sometimes screaming. It seems like it is triggered with loud sounds like a fan running seems to be the most irritating. I have been to an ear, nose and throat doctor and had a hearing test. I was told I have above average hearing and I have tinnitus. I live in an apartment and even when I hear water running it is irritating to me. It started when I was losing my house and lived alone. I did some research and stress, traumatic events where a few causes leading to. It is just frustrating to me to go through this when I have never experienced this before. How do I get back to not experiencing this. I do not have health insurance so is there some inexpesive way I can eliminate this. I am not a big fan of meds either.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, do you believe this is related to your tinnitus or do you feel this is an auditory hallucination related to a psychosis? The only reason I ask is because you posted this in the mental health category and if you feel this is related to your tinnitus than you may be better served in a category with a ear, nose, and throat doctor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is affecting my mental health. I am asking for your opinion. You mentioned auditory hallucination related to psychosis. Isn't auditory to do with hearing and psychosis is to do with mental health? It is confusing to me that I had not had this in the past and now I do.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Auditory hallucinations can be a symptom of psychosis or it can be a symptom of something else entirely not related to mental health. This is why I asked that question to get a better understanding of your auditory hallucinations. Unfortunately you probably are going to need to take a medication at the very least since auditory hallucinations are so difficult to control. May I ask, how old are you? Do you hear the voices in only one ear or both?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am 49 and usually the voices are off in the distance. When I am trying to fall asleep they are usually off in the distance. Also sometimes it is as if someone is standing next to me saying something. I do not know how well you are familiar with this sort of thing because if someone would have told me about five to ten years ago what I am telling you I honestly would think they were crazy but I know I am not. When I hear the voices sometimes it is a man's voice and other times a womens and I can understand what they are saying and it usually is insulting words like. I never hear anything nice. It is sometimes like I am hearing what others might be thinking or arguing between one another. I tried rationalizing and reasoning searching for an explanation. It is very difficult to live with since I have not really dealt with this before and as I mentioned this has been going on for years. I thought maybe if would subside after awhile but to no avail and it is not really something anyone really wants to go their doctor and talk about.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Okay so the big question is, do you understand what the voices are saying? Are they directed at you...meaning do the voices talk about you or tell you to do something? Overall are the voices personal messages to you?