Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have a 21 year old who was once diagnosed with Aspergers,

Customer Question

I have a 21 year old who was once diagnosed with Aspergers, she refuses to get treatment and have destroyed our family atmosphere, she fights with us, with her siblings and does not leave the house, she does go to college but doesnt drive and has no friends, since she is over the legal age what can we do to force her to seek treatment
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately there is very little you can do to force this person to seek treatment unless they are a danger to themselves or others, or are considered gravely disabled, which is not the case here. Legally and ethically there is not enough to warrant involuntary treatment at this time. The only way you can try to compel her to get treatment would be to start taking privileges and perks away from her such as tv, phone, etc....if she will not listen to you or consider undergoing treatment than any support you provide her can be removed. In addition, the last thing you can try to do would be to force her to move out of your home unless she seeks treatment. These are unfortunate drastic measures, but given that she will not respond to your empathetic approach and that she cannot be forced to undergo treatment, it is the only way to try to help her. But I do want to mention that these drastic measures typically have a low rate of success, because in the end you can do and say everything right and it is still her choice.