Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

How do I have a relationship with my grandkids when their

Customer Question

How do I have a relationship with my grandkids when their mother is always asking for money and I'm on a fixed income?
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I plan on spending a few days with my grandkids after Christmas, and my ex daughter in law want me to give a coed New Years party (boys spend the night) with my grandkids boyfriends. I'm so not comfortable with that, but feel like I'm the villain if I do not agree to it.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I feel as though my daughter-in-law is sabotaging my relationship with my grandkids on all levels
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, have you tried to discuss with your daughter in law about always asking for money and if so how has she responded? Have you expressed your uneasiness with this arrangement during new years?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I cannot see the grandkids if I do not have money
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She tells me that her mom contributes more money and is therefore a better grandparent
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

You should not be forced to give money to see your grand children. You may have a legal case for grand-patent visitation rights based on this issue. But you are on a fixed income, so if your daughter in law is coercing you or extorting you for money to see your grand-children that is not right at all. I would recommend talking to your daughter in law about this or better yet your son, so that you can see your children without this coercion. But if this type of extortion continues than you may have to go about with a legal route of grand-parent visitation rights to see your grand children.