Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I recently filed a restraining order against my husband and

Customer Question

I recently filed a restraining order against my husband and he has already violated it 150 or so times. I only filed the restraining order because he is an addict and he relapsed and would not go to treatment. His family was not helping me so I turned
to the court system. Now he is facing jail time and I am concerned that he will be penalized further because he already has prior convictions for this and ended up serving some prison time and was released 4 years ago. I was not the victim in that case as
we were not together at that time. It was NEVER my intention for him to get any jail and/or prison time for this. Now we are extremely scared and not sure what to do. I am willing to work with the judge to advocate for him as well as the DA and anyone else.
What steps do I need to take right now to get him help? Do I need to try to modify the order? The 30 days never even passed so he didn't even have a chance for a hearing. Now he is wanted and scared and I want to do anything I can to help him. He is willing
to get into a rehab or treatment facility. What is the best next step for us? We are willing to hire a local attorney but are looking for a little direction on hot to navigate the next few steps so as to better help my husband get the help he needs rather
than be locked away in a system I never intended to send him to. He is also Bi-Polar and had gone cold-turkey off of some newly started meds when he relapsed and when all of this happened. He is not a bad person, nor would I ever consider him a criminal even
though he does have prior Felony Convictions. He is a family man who is responsible and always has worked full time in addition to going to school to help further his career. Any advice that you can give us or area in which you can point us would be greatly
appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help with this extremely sensitive matter!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a licensed therapist and Drug/Alcohol specialist. I am wondering since it has been 5 days, if you are still waiting for an answer to your question. I may have some suggestions that can help with this situation.