Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Clonazapam. I have been using this drug and anxiety. My Dr.

Customer Question

Clonazapam. I have been using this drug for stress and anxiety. My Dr. retired and the new one will not refill without completing a full round of therapy sessions. I have agreed that I need to do that. My problem is, my need to restore my baseline. I need it now. I am overdosing on other drugs to help cover the lack of my regimen that worked perfectly. Now I am forced to go cold turkey. I NEED HELP TODAY. I can't function anymore.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are having this difficulty with your medications regimen, but given that this is not an online pharmacy may I ask what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
My question, Why am I forced to OD on over the counter medicines just to replace two pills? I am, it is definitely not in my best interests. It turns out I am barely functional today precisely because I not find any local resource.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

Well Clonazepam is a Controlled Substance and is highly addictive and well regulated, so most likely your doctor is concerned about being on the Clonazepam long-term because of government regulation, which is why he/she is requiring you to undergo therapy before being prescribed Clonazepam again. Your doctor is protecting himself/herself as state and federal authorities have been investigating doctors more and more who prescribe Controlled Substances.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

So overall it just sounds like your doctor is covering his/her bases and trying everything before prescribing you the Clonazepam again.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What I do know it works perfectly to balance me. Been taking it for fifteen years and never had an issue. 2 a day. I was not escalating.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

There is new research showing long-term issues with benzodiazpeines such as increased chance of dementia and long-term depression, but Clonazepam should have only been used for a few weeks to avoid the physical addiction. Now you are currently physically addicted to the medication and going through severe withdrawal symptoms. I am sure the doctor would want to help you, but his/her hands may be tied due to oversight and regulation

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

I agree that it is not fair to you, but unfortunately the doctor may not have a choice but to go this route.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 12 months ago.

I saw your phone call request, but I am unable to call at this time. I can possibly provide a phone call this afternoon if you are interested though.