Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My partner has admitted to being ROCD and now she has taken

Customer Question

My partner has admitted to being ROCD and now she has taken it all back and says she doesn't Only, it's clear that she does but refuses to get help. Is there anything I can do? It is taking its toll on us both.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, why did your partner take it back and continues to refuse help...what is her reasoning for this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a pattern in our relationship that when things are really good and we are close she shuts down. When that happens sometimes she can work through it. This time she is so shutdown and not herself and says, I think it's ROCD but she knows it's not. It's that she's in the wrong relationship. I've told her if she doesn't get help that I can't remain in the relationship.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. Truthfully it does not matter if this is ROCD or something else because what is clear is that there is an issue in the relationship and most likely professional intervention is necessary given the distress this is causing her and you. The unfortunate part is that if she is not willing to see a psychologist about this issue than there is very little you can do as the choice for treatment lies with her alone. And also even though I know you want to fix this relationship and help her, she is the one that must make the effort in treatment to get the most benefits, but if she is unwilling to be treated than there is little anyone can do. You can point her in the right direction and provide a countless number of resources to help her, but the choice to use those resources is up to her. She knows the consequences if she does not seek help and still she is making this choice to not get therapy, so I think that is a sign for you that you should consider moving forward away from this relationship as it will continue to be unhealthy for you given her psychological issues.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.