Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have been on Ativan year now. I have needed more in the

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. I have been on Ativan for a year now. I have needed more in the last few weeks than I did before. I think I have become addicted and would like to get off of it. Is there a natural substance I can use to aid in the taper?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not really
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mental Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using Justanswer. Truthfully there is no natural supplement that has been proven to help with a benzodiazepine taper as there have just been no studies on this. The only theoretical natural supplement that would be most likely fit would be Picamilon. You see Ativan, like all benzodiazepines, increase a neurotransmitter called GABA in the brain, which reduces anxiety. There are natural supplements of GABA, but these are useless because itself cannot cross the blood brain barrier. This is where Picamilon comes in because it combines GABA with Niacin and Niacin can cross the blood brain barrier, so theoretically it can increase GABA in the brain. Again this is only theoretical since it has never been proven with any firm study, but this applies to most natural supplements. You can purchase Picamilon online at Amazon or at any vitamin/natural supplement shop and this may help you to taper off the Ativan. But the most tried and true method is to just decrease the Ativan by .25mg every 10-14 days until complete discontinuation as this is a conservative and slow taper that usually prevents withdrawal symptoms. I hope this helps.