Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Im having problems with pissing people off. I dont intend to

Customer Question

Hi im having problems with pissing people off. I dont intend to do it, but i just say what i think and people generally dont like it. Im not lieing, i feel im telling the truth and people get quite defensive.
Ive thought it was them for awhile but now im sure that i dont see the world as most people do.
how can i get through this? or change my ways?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It appears that while you are telling the truth to people, you may be behaving "brutally honest." This means that you may be approaching the subject with others in a less tactful way and you may be too blunt. As an example, if you were a doctor and you told a family that your patient died, you would want to do so in an empathetic and caring manner, and not be blunt about it. So it sounds like all you need is to learn socially appropriate behavior and how to be more tactful in conversation. Have you ever considered entering into therapy to help you with this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, ive only just decided that it must be me with the issue, so im here to figure out if councilling can help? and why i am so blunt when discussing things? is it a disorder or a mental issue?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Just this one behavior of being blunt is too vague to determine if you have a mental health disorder or not. There must be a pattern of multiple symptoms present to determine if a mental health disorder is possible; a psychological assessment face to face can determine if you have a disorder or not. The best type of therapy for you to help lessen this behavior would be called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as it is considered the most effective therapy style using to enhance social communication skills. Therapy will definitely help you, but remember it will take time as reversing this behavior cannot occur over night, so expect to be in therapy for at least a few months. But overall therapy can definitely help with this issue as this is very curable.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.