Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My 15 yearold daughter became suicidal and depressed in

Customer Question

my 15 yearold daughter became suicidal and depressed in early September. She transferred to a new school where she already had friends at, ended a relationship with a bad boyfriend. She is in counseling and doing better. But she can so moody and nasty.
She says she can't express her feelings. Any advice??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Is your daughter taking any psychotropic medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no and I do not want her on mads, we were told her depression was identifiable mess are usually given when reason for depression is not identifiable
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. If your daughter truly wants to stop her therapy than that is her choice, but given her behavioral issues she may benefit from a form of therapy called Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) which is more structured. She can do this individually or in a group setting, which ever she feels most comfortable in. DBT will definitely help her to control her emotions and express them in a more socially acceptable manner. In addition, she can also consider taking natural supplements of St. Johns Wort and Omega-3 as these are very effective in lessening her moods and lessening any depressive symptoms she may have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does this behavior last
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

That is impossible to determine as no one can predict how long the behavior will last...it really just depends on the individual. The behavior could be short lived or even worsen depending on life circumstances and her own neurobiology, there are just too many unknowns to make a prediction.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I noticed that you viewed my answer and I was checking in to see if you have any further questions or concerns that you would like me to address on this issue?