Aladdin Alswaifi
Aladdin Alswaifi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician at Saudi German Hospital Asir
88246808

Have a couple questions on stigma

Customer Question

Hi have a couple of follow up questions on stigma
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Aladdin Alswaifi replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mark,

Would you please tell me what are your questions about stigma so I might be able to answer?!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If a person has been given the suggestion that symptoms like hearing voices might be schizophrenia can they be forced to see a psychiatrist if they dont want to?

Expert:  Aladdin Alswaifi replied 11 months ago.

Usually patients are forced to see a psychiatrist or even to be involuntary admitted to hospital under full observation in one of 2 cases:

1st: if the patient may harm himself?

2nd: if the patient may harm other people around him?

Schizophrenic patients are not usually dangerous even with presence of hallucinations (e.g. hearing voices) unless these voices are telling him to harm himself or any other person which is not happening so often.

Hearing voices doesn't always mean schizophrenia as this can happen in some other occasions such as abnormal Griefs which is not dangerous and self limited with time.
Anyway, it is still advisable to be seen by a psychiatrist to check if there is a real need for treatment or admission to hospital.
I hope this answer is enough for your question and please don't hesitate to contact me for further questions

Regards
Dr. Alswaifi

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It was suggested to me that I might have schizophrenia by my gp but I didnt go back in case I was going to be locked up in an asylum. The GP didnt explain everything to do with stigma like Jeckyll and Hyde.

She just said I might have schizophrenia and that was all. Is this sort of situation common, am I the only one?

Dear Kate,

I really understand your worries so I would like to confirm some facts:

1st: your GP suggested that you may have schizophrenia but this is not confirmed yet

2nd: schizophrenia is just disturbance in body normal physiology like any disease else (e.g. diabetes, hypertension....etc) so I wonder why you call it stigma.
3rd: schizophrenic patient is not dangerous and he/she can be cured so you in normal situation you won't be forced to be hospitalized or anything.
4th: about 1.2% of American people has schizophrenia, this means if you go to a football game or basketball game with 10000 audience there will be around 120 schizophrenic patient with you in the same place
So you are not the only one
I recommend this website for you http://schizophrenia.com/

hopefully this will help you feeling better

Wish you get well soon

Regards

Dr. Alswaifi