Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Well here goes... I've been diagnosed in the 80's with OCD

Customer Question

It has caused me so many problems in life and I've many rituals but I'm very good at hiding them. I'm now 43, and it just seems that my mind never stops, never give me rest and I'm oh so very tired of it. I've tried everything from meds to yoga to meditations but I feel like I'm drowning on dry land. I despise when people say that they are a little OCDish or they think they may have it as I find it torturous - I think I just wanted to write this out because I think I'm just going to quit. Thanks and have a nice day
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am sorry that you are suffering with this level of OCD. May I ask, what is your specific question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I stop or quiet my mind?
Or is there no relief - tired do I stop my own pain now?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

What medications have you tried so far? And has the options of Electoconvulsive Therapy (ECT), Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), or Vagal Nerve Stimulation been suggested for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pills do not work
Those other things I'm not aware of
I am at work but feeling distressed - I'm in a camp so I can't just go anywhere - I'm stuck here until my shifts end which is two weeks yet.
I feel that I'm through, gone through and reached the end of my pains now. I guess, this was my last ditch effort at making an attempt - to keep my sanity and live my life as dad and husband but right now - I'm weakened
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks though
At least I've confided in someone
At least I've made that last effort
And I appreciate your banter
It's all good
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry that you feel this way, but therapy alone is not effective for resistant cases of OCD. Typically a different set of medications such as Lamictal, the possible use of atypical antipsychotics, Older antidepressants, etc... are often used to treat resistant cases of OCD. In addition the other methods I mentioned are alternative and last-resort options due to the possible side effects and those can be effective for your OCD treatment as well. I am very sorry that you are struggling with this and any treatment that you look for in the future will take time to work as there is no quick fix for this situation, so most likely the treatment would take months to possibly over a year to be effective. If you feel that all medications are no longer effective than I would recommend first looking into TMS as that is low risk and then consider ECT or Vagal Nerve Stimulation as that requires surgery.