Vanessa, LMHC
Vanessa, LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor
90439960

My girlfriend is starting therapy next week and is afraid

Customer Question

My girlfriend is starting therapy next week and is afraid that if she tells the doctor that she used to be suicidal (2-3 years ago), the doctor will hospitalized her, even though she says she's not anymore. Is that a possibility?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Vanessa, LMHC replied 1 year ago.

No, it is not a possibility if she is merely sharing past history. To be hospitalized for suicidal thoughts, specific criteria would need to be met. An assessment would be completed by the therapist to determine risk. Risk would need to be high (thoughts are persistent and a plan has been developed and/or attempted, among other factors.) If risk of self harm (suicidality) is low to moderate and there is no immediate threat, then there would be no need for hospitalization. I have had clients with recent suicidal thoughts who would be considered moderate risk that do not need hospitalization. I've worked with them during sessions to help them develop coping skills so that the suicidal thoughts decrease. Even some high risk cases could be dealt with without admitting the client. It would actually be helpful for your girlfriend to share the history to show the therapist that she has some ways she has been coping since the thoughts were occurring. Thank you for your question and let me know if I can be of further assistance!