Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have an 18 year old son- who has little to know coping

Customer Question

I have an 18 year old son- who has little to know coping skills and when he doesn't get his way he explodes- punches things and cusses me- I have tried psychiatric consult and he refuses to go and refuses meds- I don't know if this is typical 18 year old behavior but it is unacceptable to me
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. I am very sorry that your son has these psychological issues, but will not seek treatment for them. Unfortunately this is all too common, but treatment is voluntary, so if he does not want to put forth the effort to undergo treatment and/or take his medications than there is likely nothing you can do. You can try to offer an ultimatum where that if he continues to want to live in your household than he is going to need to follow his prescribed treatment, but other than this there is not much else you can do. Just like you are the only one in control of your actions, he is the only in control of his and that means he has the choice to follow through with his treatment plan or not.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.