abray1115
abray1115, Doctor
Experience:  Primary care with particular care and experience in managing common psychiatric problems.
13781349

I've been told that I have control of my dreams, that by

Customer Question

I've been told that I have control of my dreams, that by solving my issues through counseling I can eliminate such dreams and thus sleep quietly . I don't believe so. Please help settle this discussion

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  abray1115 replied 1 year ago.

I agree with you that you can't really control your dreams!

I would agree that the more you have less stress and worry that you may remember fewer nightmares >> often our worries may contribute to bad content within our dreams... This is not so easily under our control however.. bad things happen in life.. we suffer the loss of loved ones for example .. we can't escape certain unfortunate realities..

Regardless our dreams may incorporate what we did during the day and may incorporate stimuli at the time ( if you leave the TV on during sleep you may have noticed that what is on may indeed be incorporated)

Our dreams for the most part are free form thoughts generated by our imagination.. I think they may in part reflect what is going on with us at the time but NO we can't really control them..

If you were in a car accident this morning then for several nights an accident may play some part of some dreams that you have >> that would be very common..

If you have psychological trouble and have benefit t from counseling then I say FINE to that ! To imply that you may master your dreams by a counseling technique is an over-reaching and false claim in my opinion...

I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions or discussion. i will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD