Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have social anxiety, could you please help me how l can

Customer Question

I have social anxiety, could you please help me how l can get rid of it?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Social Anxiety is a common anxiety type disorder that can easily be treated with a two-fold approach. One is that you should start to consult with a psychologist concerning Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as this is the most effective form of therapy to treat Social Anxiety. CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. The therapy should help to lessen your symptoms within a few months. In addition to therapy, the use of psychotropic medications like a SSRI antidepressant can be very helpful as well. These medications only lessen the symptoms of your Social Anxiety and not the core causes, which is why you need the therapy. You can go to your primary care physician for such medication as they are non-addictive and have a low rate of side effects. This would be the best approach to lessen your Social Anxiety.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome, I wish you all the best :)