Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I have tics and twitches since I was about 10, I get them

Customer Question

I have tics and twitches since I was about 10, I get them really bad when im stressed, and they are allways different, sometimes head knodding, or eye blinking, or making noises, or shaking my head, or chattering my teeth. I can control them, but it takes
a lot of concentration and I notice that when I am doing the tics that I usually am not breathing, so I think its a sign of desperation on the part of my brain, like a person drowning desperately trying to hold their breath. I am wondering if there are medications
for this now? I never discuss this with my doctor and I hide it from everyone. If I were to tell my doctor, would they put me on a national list for insane people and lock me up in a mental ward? What is used to treat these tics? Right now I jerk my head like
im saying no super super fast until my neck muscles ache out, then a few seconds later I do it again and again, its like my brain gets a HIGH or euphoria from it and it pushes me for more and more to ever increasing amounts of head shaking. I hate it and my
neck gets so sore that I have to go lie down. please help....-desperate...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am sorry to learn about your struggle with tic disorder and i empathize with you.

Well, yes there are effective medications available for managing tics and no, the doctor aka a psychiatrist or neurologist whosoever may start you on these medications after evaluation would not put you in the category of mental insane, so kindly relax nerves and do not jump to hasty conclusions.

You see tics are not uncommon and therefore the treatment is readily available nowadays, you should have sought for the same much before so that your tics would not have become as severe and frequent as they are now.

So, i am mentioning below some of the medications that you shall discuss with your doctor, preferably a psychiatrist or neurologist as they will be most suited for treating such a condition.

1) Tetrabenazine at dose of 12.5-25 mg once a day at bedtime which needs to be slowly titrated to three times a day dosing eventually. It is not to be used if you have a history of liver impairment.

2) Olanzapine ( zyprexa ) at dose of 5-10 mg / day or quetiapine ( seroquel ) at dose of 25 mg / day, these two are neuroleptics which are found to be very effective in tic disorder.

3) Clonazepam ( klonopin ) at dose of 0.25-0.5 mg twice a day.

You shall discuss all of these with your treating doctor, a combination of 1 & 2 or 2 & 3 may be preferred by the doctor over single drug regime for getting quicker and more effective response.

I hope this helps. Kindly do the needful and hopefully your tics will get control and make your life easier than ever before.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards