Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Tamara my wife's health coverage dropped Brand Name Lexapro

Customer Question

Hi, Tamara my wife's health coverage dropped Brand Name Lexapro in favor of a generic. She tried it and had very bad reaction. We were told that our doctor had to request an "exception" be made for her. He was happy to do that but nothing happened. Our only choice while waiting was to pay $650 a month! For brand name lexapro. Her re-submitted insisting that it was necessary. No response. $650 a month was too much for us so we set out on a six month hunt for alternatives (including CBDs which offered some relief but not nearly enough counter the most extreme anxiety and depression). Canadian pharmacies offer cipralex ($40 a month!) made by Lundbeck and represent it as "the same" as Lexapro. Is it actually the exact same drug as brand name lexapro? Or just another generic being loosely called Lexapro? Appreciate your help on this-
Gary and Wendy
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for your question. Lunbeck's Lexapro/Cipralex is the brand name Lexapro and not the generic version. Lunbeck Pharamaceuticals was the first company to manufacture Lexapro (in conjunction with Forest Labs) and retains its brand name, so it is not a generic. Secondly I want to point out that the maximum dose of Lexapro is 20mg/day, so when you said that she was taking 40mg/day of the Lexapro, that is a significant overdose that will cause more internal harm than good. So please make sure that her dose is correct with her doctor as Lexapro (Escitalopram) has a maximum dose of 20mg/day as you can see here in this link:

http://www.drugs.com/dosage/lexapro.html

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.