Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am a 56 yr. old male who went years without masturbating

Customer Question

I am a 56 yr. old male who went for many years without masturbating or viewing porn. I started about a year ago. For several months, I viewed things frequently. I had begun to back off when someone caught me viewing an explicit site. I have been classified as "sick"by people(non-professionals) who are hypocrites themselves(they have done thing which go against the image they present in public. When I bring this to their attention, they try to tell me that I am not seeing things clearly. The way I see it, I went off the wagon and got caught by people who work off of a double standard.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using justanswer. Masturbation and viewing pornography is perfectly natural and usually acceptable in today's society, as long as it is done with discretion. I am sorry that others "caught" you in these acts and have chosen to be judgmental. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You just confirmed what I thought about myself. Why is it that people cannot see that they are applying a double standard?(one for themselves and one for others). Why is it that family feels they can do as they please with ones property?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

It is hard to tell why some people apply this double standard, but most likely it is because they feel ashamed of doing these acts themselves, so by judging others it helps to mitigate their own guilt and shame. Also some people feel it is necessary to judge others as they feel superior to others.

As for why a family feels they can do as they please with one's property, that is dependent on the family. Some people feel that family is supposed to share no matter what and maybe that is what is going on here.