Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I am writing in behalf of my boyfriend of two years. We will

Customer Question

I am writing in behalf of my boyfriend of two years. We will call him Sam. He has two children, boys, one who is ADHD (and medicated) and just turned 8 years old. Some days the 8 year old is sweet as can be, but more recently he has become more of a "brat". It is so hard to get him to do homework, he even makes demands before he will do it. Anything his younger brother touches he claims is his and does not want him to get his germs on it. He acts very entitled and when we brought up doing chores to earn money he suggested to get a maid instead. Hes very smart, excels in school when he wants to, but lately hes been getting in trouble there too. He is what I consider rude to adults, they ask him questions and he ignores them completely. When put him in time out it takes him a very long time to calm down, screaming and yelling and crying for long periods of time. He wakes up in the middle of the night and goes to watch tv then wakes everyone else up.
The mother and Sam have shared custody, from what I understand she gives them a lot of toys and nice things, but of course is very loving. I want to help them in their situation but I am also not the boys parents, but I do plan on being in their lives for hopefully, ever. Sam is exhausted from a very demanding job, and on his days with the boys does all responsibilities that I feel the boys are old enough to do on their own.
What advice do you have for me to help? or to give to Sam?
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been 24 hours, still no advice or answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess if I need to rephrase... are these behavioral issues of an ADHD child, or am I dealing with a spoiled kid?
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Sorry about this issue of a difficult child. Surely he needs to be disciplined with a progressively incremental reward and punishment. He should be informed in advance and both parents should agree on this, as one voice.

Medication plan also needs to be reviewed.

Household fixtures may be replaced by child proof ones, so that he has no access to fiddling with TV during night, for example.