Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

What are the causes of Bulimia in teenage boys?

Customer Question

what are the causes of Bulimia in teenage boys?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. Unfortunately at this time the causes of Bulimia are unknown for both genders although there does appear to be some evidence of a genetic predisposition in recent studies. In most cases though the focus on an underlying mental health disorder, abnormal hormone levels, and unrealistic perceived social expectations (e.g. media portrayal of the perfect body image) appear to be the causes that most mental health professionals attribute to this disorder. No matter the cause though, the focus is usually on treatment through a combination of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and psychotropic medications to help eliminate the symptoms of the disorder and help the individual live a well-adjusted life.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.