Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My boyfriend was given anti-depressants after the passing of

Customer Question

My boyfriend was given anti-depressants after the passing of his late wife from cancer. After almost two years, he recently decided to come off them cold turkey. Since then, he has withdrawn from the relationship and says, he cannot handle another emotional thing. He has two children, a demanding mother and his business has been crazy. Are these the effects of coming off the drugs, because we have never had any issues before?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. Stopping antidepressants abruptly causes withdrawal symptoms which can be increased anxiety and emotional sensitivity. So this can be what your boyfriend is experiencing but the good news is that these withdrawal symptoms are typicall temporary as the medication washes out of the system. Most likely he is feeling overwhelmed by the combination of life stressors and the withdrawal symptoms