Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I have an issue with depression- I think of hurting myself

Customer Question

I have an issue with depression- I think of hurting myself and suicide and feel sad but have no reason. What's strange is that my life is great and I have no reason for these thoughts. I do take prozac and it helps, but I think there must be an underlying issue. I wish I could just enjoy my life!! These thoughts get in the way of my training, school and eating as well. I do not know what to do. Some days I feel totally fine though, even more than fine. But other days, I feel hopeless and desperate for help. We have a counselor at our school but I don't know what I would say because I don't know what is wrong/I have no reason to be depressed. Today I had very strong thoughts of hurting myself and I need to do something about this. What do you suggest? Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and I believe can help you with your query.

You see harboring ideas of suicide or ideas of self harm cannot be just ignored as after all your life is at stake and it would be devastating for people close to you if you commit one in a weak moment. So it is my humble request to you to immediately seek professional help from a psychiatrist and get your present drug refigime altered so as to make it more potent since e it seems like prozac is not being effective as expected as otherwise there would have been no question about development of such ideas of self harm.

So consult a psychiatrist and get your diagnosis and drug regime revised and if possible get a mood sstabiliser drug such as seroquel at dose of 25 to 50 mg per day or lamictal at dose of 25 to 50 mg per day added to a potent anti depressant like lexapro at dose of 10 to 20 mg per day , which shall replace the presently in use prozac.

Also in addition to these changes which shall bring about the much needed control overyour self harm impulses and depressive cognition, make sure that you involve your family members or partner by letting them know about your state of mind, this I say because in a weak moment you can immediately report your impulsive emotions to them and seek help from them to take you to psychiatric emergency., so as to avoid the dreadful event of suicide sIde or grievious self harm.

So I believe you have to make a lot of changes in your drug regime and also try to seek counseling or therapy from a clinical psychologist so as to learn coping skills for future to fight against these emotional undercurrents and self harm thoughts.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask .

If you have no further query and if you are satisfied with the answer then kindly please leave a POSITIVE RATING.

Regards