Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My therapist has been having conversations about me with a

Customer Question

My therapist has been having conversations about me with a family member without my permission. The family member was alarmed that I began drinking alcohol again after several years of sobriety and sectioned 35 me, in consultation with my family member. It was an extreme response on the family members part. I an not angry with them., I am however concerned this therapist who is staunchly pro AA, and I am not, may have breached my confidentiality. How do I end this relationship?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I would agree that this therapist appears to have violated the ethical rules of confidentiality by the situation you described. You are not required to provide any type of specific notice to your therapist if you want to discontinue therapy, you can just leave a phone message, email, or even a letter. If you want one last session with the therapist you can describe to therapist how you feel you cannot trust him/her given this breach of confidentiality and while you understand it may have been unintentional and without malice, it was still hurtful to you. You would further add that you would like for this to be the last session as you would no longer like to continue working with this therapist given your concerns. So you can go about it in a confrontational or confrontational way, it really depends on your preference.