Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have recently been to see a psychiatric team and my Gp and

Customer Question

I have recently been to see a psychiatric team and my Gp and have been diagnosed with GAD and obsessive thoughts. And I'm on citalopram and Valium when needed.
Can the following symptoms be attributed to this:
- occasional paranoia, which I know not to be true (eg worried I might think my children are demons, due to some intrusive thoughts, looking at photos ect, I know my fears are unfounded)
- when I'm thinking I hear it as if I'm talking, voice like my voice (eg: I ll say to my son I love you, and I'll hear are you sure, in my voice! Or I'll knock on my daughters door and think about what I'm going to say, and in my mind I might say hi hon, then some reference to death, I never say it aloud!
- intrusive thoughts violent
- suspicious nature at times.
I am anxious I'm getting or already have schizophrenia
I'm 34 married, 2 children and work 25 hours a week. Tiredness and stress act as triggers
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. This is definitely not Schizophrenia as individuals with a psychotic disorder who believe they hear "voices," think that the voices are coming from an external source. This means that their auditory hallucinations are like someone is standing right next to them and talking into their ear, that is how an auditory hallucination sounds like with Schizophrenia. For you it sounds like your "voice" is an internal dialogue that you do when you are anxious/nervous, but you know it is inside your head and that it of your own thought. And individuals with paranoia do believe it to be true, so because you state that you know your paranoia is unfounded already discounts true paranoia, and instead you just have significant worry/anxiety. So overall everything does sound like you are suffering from GAD, but the intensity of your intrusive thoughts may lead to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) which is considered a more severe form of an anxiety disorder...but you definitely do not have Schizophrenia, nor will you get it from these symptoms.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.