Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

125 mg Seroquel not putting me to sleep. I 't want to

Customer Question

125 mg Seroquel not putting me to sleep. I don't want to increase dose bc it makes me feel so bad in the morning. I was previously on ambien 10 mg and klonopin. What can I do
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your query.

Kindly answer a few queries.

1) What is your underlying diagnosis ? Is it insomnia ? Is that why you are taking seroquel ?

2) Any other drug that you are currently taking with seroquel ?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Insomnia. .5 mg klonopin

Thanks for the inputs.

Well, although seroquel is a potent sleep inducing drug but it is not a favorable choice for use in insomnia. So my humble opinion is that you ask your prescribing doctor to consider using trazodone ( desyrel) at a dose of 25 mg at bedtime. It is a very potent sleep aid drug and after using it at 25 mg dose for 10 days, ask your doctor to raise the dose to 50 mg at bedtime and stay put on this dose for future. Once with the use of desyrel, your insomnia has been ably managed then you can ask your doctor to slowly taper you off klonopin and seroquel one by one.

If you feel trying out desyrel at the moment is too much to ask for then as an alternative you can ask your doctor to simply add promethazine hcl ( phenergan) at dose of 10mg at night on prn basis that is as and when required basis when you do not get sleep.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards