Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am taking seroquel, lamictal, ativan, latuda and ambien. I

Customer Question

I am taking seroquel, lamictal, ativan, latuda and ambien. I have been having trouble sleeping so I started taking neorontin. I can't get in touch with me Doc. She is not returning my calls. Is neurontin safe to take for sleep? It actually seems to be helping.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Can you tell me all the doses of each medication you are taking, including the Neurontin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
300 mg neurontin, 350mg lamictal 2x day, 80mg latuda, 700mgs seroquel, 2mgs ativan, 10mgs of ambien
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. The Neurontin works in a similar fashion as the Ambien and Ativan, but instead of increasing the levels of GABA (a neurotransmitter in the brain that helps to lessen anxiety and cause sedation) it mimics it, which is why it causes some sedation and can help with sleep. Neurontin is also used in an off-label fashion to lessen anxiety as well. So yes Neurontin can be used as a sleep aid for you and the only interaction it will have with your other medications is increased sedation, drowsiness, and possibly dizziness. So this is a safe medication to use to help lessen your insomnia.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I stop the ativan and ambien and just do the neurontin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help!
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You cannot stop both of those medications as they are physically addicting and if you stop the medications abruptly they will cause serious withdrawal symptoms. You must taper off both the Ambien and Ativan if you want. But combining Ativan, Ambien, and the Neurontin at the doses you have is considered safe as it only causes increased sedation, which is probably what you want to help you sleep at night.