Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Why did I fabricate a story about my sister dying and then

Customer Question

why did I fabricate a story about my sister dying and then including myself also to someone I love just to see if they really loved me why would I do this
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using justanswer. It would be impossible for me to tell you why exactly you did this since it would take some time to get to know your psychological motivations through therapy for behaving in this manner. But may I ask, do you have insecurity issues? Have you had a bad history in relationships?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have and yes I do, how can I get over them
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

So it is possible that you fabricated this story about you and your sister because of that as you were seeking reassurances from the person you loved, but you went about it in a manner that was unhealthy. The best way to treat both the insecurity and the relationship history would be through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. Right now you are viewing the world and yourself with a negative focus, so CBT will help you to see things more objectively and this will lessen your overall insecurity. In addition, CBT has a focus on the present and not the past, so this will be good for you to help move forward from your history as you cannot change the past but you can change/impact the here and now. So I would highly recommend that you enter into CBT therapy for a few months where these issues can easily be resolved.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.