Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am currently taking seroquel, lamictal, latuda, ambien,

Customer Question

Hello. I am currently taking seroquel, lamictal, latuda, ambien, and ativan. I can't sleep, so I started taking my husband's neurontin, it is the only thing that helps me sleep. I can't sleep without it. Is this a major problem? Should I cut the ambien out then?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. Ambien is only supposed to be used temporarily as it is a physically addicting medication which is why it is meant to be used only for a few weeks at most. If the Ambien is no longer effective for you than it would be wise to taper off that medication slowly and consider using the Neurontin (Gabapentin). Neurontin can be used in an off-label fashion as sleep aid, and is not physically addicting like the Ambien, so this can be used in the long-term at the appropriate dose to help you sleep at night.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.