Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am 60. I've never felt that I was where I belonged or was

Customer Question

I am 60. I've never felt that I was where I belonged or was doing something worthy of my potential. I'm unclear about what I want. I've tried many things in my life and have not stuck with any of them. I have an attitude that leads to a kind of mood that says "why bother." I work with this attitude the best I can but it returns. This is particularly true aboutdwork that I care enough about the invest in it. I often feel that life has not yielded to my dreams, nor have I been able to accept life on its terms. I have meditated to quiet my thoughts and can be pretty settled in the moment, but still, once its time to do something, really don't seem to have any sense of what. I do have a decent life, good wife, but little meaning in my life, little contribution. Things that I try always seem to disappoint me; never quite feel right. Now I wonder if its too late - so again why bother.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. It sounds like you are suffering from a depressive disorder from what it sounds like and you have tried therapy with no benefits, which is unfortunate. Have you considered that this may be a neurochemistry issue and have you tried any prescription antidepressants or possibly natural supplements to address this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some years ago. Worked on social anxiety. Doesn't help me find an actual answer to the issue: what am I here to do. Maybe not a psychological issue?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Finding out what you are meant to do is a psychological issue, but it is not something a psychologist can tell you, only you can find out your purpose. You have tried different forms of therapy without success and that is typically the way to help provide you with a direction. One other possibility would be to consider seeking treatment with a life coach instead of a Psychologist/Therapist as this may be an area of treatment to help you find your direction in life. Obviously I cannot tell you what you are supposed to do in life or what your purpose is as I have never met you and I do not know anything about you on a personal level. Another option for treatment would be to go to life coach retreats or even spiritual direction retreats as these can provide you with an eclectic and alternative view of treatment that may help you to think outside the box.