Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I'm schizoaffective and I suffer from occasional intrusive

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** schizoaffective and I suffer from occasional intrusive thoughts. This is a very personal question. I keep having intrusive thoughts during masturbation. They are of a homosexual nature. Also, they aren't different thoughts. It's just one single repetitive thought. It just feels like it pops out of no where.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer. May I ask what is your specific question that you would like answer to in regards ***** ***** intrusive thoughts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I just feel like I'm a homosexual. It's very difficult to explain why that same, repetitive thought just keeps popping up out of nowhere.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Okay that is definitely a legitimate question. Can I ask do you find the thoughts pleasurable at all or just very distressing and unwanted? When you try to stop the thoughts do they reoccur no matter what you do to prevent them? And do these thoughts tend to wax and wane meaning at some periods of time they do not show up and then at other times they occur constantly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I find them very distressing and unwanted. They occur no matter what even if I try to prevent them. They also always occur constantly.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you may have something called Homosexual OCD or HOCD where you are having obsessive and intrusive thoughts concerning homosexuality. It does not sound like true homosexuality since you do not find the thoughts pleasurable and they are intrusive which do not fit typical sexuality thoughts. You should talk to your psychiatrist about this and most likely you will be prescribed a SSRI antidepressant like Luvox which is great for OCD type disorders. In addition the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Exposure Response Prevention will be used to treat the core cause of your OCD. This is easily treatable but it may take a few months so you will need to be patient.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.