Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am feeling very depressed but I 't understand why. The

Customer Question

I am feeling very depressed but I don't understand why. The reason is that 25years ago my wife had an affair for 2 years. I thought I was over it as the last 20 years have been ok but all these thoughts keep coming back into my mind , she won't talk about it when I ask her questions but I need to know the answers
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello, I am very sorry that you are having these depressive symptoms because of your wife's affair. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation? Also have you considered undergoing therapy to help you lessen these symptoms of depression?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just do not understand why I feel this bad after all these years have passed, is this a normal reaction?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Most likely something triggered the memories of this affair in your subconscious and that is why you are feeling this way. Think of it like a flashback to the time when you first found out about the affair and how it made you feel, that is what is going on right now within your subconscious. This will pass as time moves forward, and in most cases this is the result of an unknown trigger in your subconscious mind.