Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Step daughter has 3 kids. 12 yr old (bed wetter until 7yrs

Customer Question

Step daughter has 3 kids. 12 yr old (bed wetter until 7yrs old) watches brother n sister. Threatens to kill mom and little sister while they are sleeping in bed. Babysits her 7 and 9 yr old brother. They have a video of her chaaing them with a knife. Threatened to stab her aunt while holding a knife. Has a complete phsychological melt down when not getting her way.."i hate u!" Etc...and hits her mom regularly. Her brother and her also accidently set fire to their apartment. Yesterday, aunt videotaped the 9 year old torchering a hamster with a blow dryer. While it was screeching, they laughed. Sick behavior. No clue as to what to do and mother is taking no action. What should we do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. This is definitely problematic behavior and given their age is demonstrative of a Conduct Disorder, which is the willful and deliberate behavior of hurting others, not following social rules, and other antisocial behavior. These children need to be seen by a Child Psychologist (Ph.D. or Psy.D) and a Child Psychiatrist immediately for treatment as this behavior will only worsen as they get older and could develop into a personality disorder like Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD), Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), or Psychopathy. So far I think you only mentioned problematic behavior with the 12 and the 9 year old, so these two children need to be in treatment very very soon or their violent behavior could be directed towards another child or adult and they could face the criminal justice system if that occurs. Treatment is going to aim to prevent that progression of their behavior, but it will take a long time for them to respond to treatment given the severity of their behavior.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.