Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

A friend who is 41 years has a somatofom(,spelling)

Customer Question

A friend who is 41 years has a somatofom(,spelling) disorder. She believes that she has all of these physical ailments,but she is mentally ill. Her mother has found treatment center for her in Chicago.
The woman has been in a psychiatric center in Kansas City. When they let Courtney go on Friday from Research Hospital, Courtney will be flying alone to Chicago. Her mother won't go with Courtney because the mother does't like how Courtney talks to her. Do you think that the mother is being unreasonable?
Sue
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for your question. I understand the mother's feelings, but for Courtney's well being it would be best for her to travel with someone that is caring and empathetic to her needs. I am not sure if the mother and Courtney have that relationship, but for this woman to be traveling alone is not advisable given the fragile condition she is in. I would not call the mother being unreasonable as I am not privy to the entire situation, but I would say that it is not recommended for her to travel with her daughter or at least have someone else travel with her.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.