Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My problem is I fear I'm a pedophile. I've also been

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** problem is I fear I'm a pedophile. I've also been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. Last year, I went through a rough time (I was very psychotic) and I masturbated to a child. Since then, I've been having sexual urges towards female children. Not all the time just rarely. My psychiatrist told me I wasn't a pedophile but I'm very scared because I think It may be true. I'm also having problems with intrusive thoughts. Can you help me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello, I am sorry that you are having these issues, I can understand how these intrusive thoughts could be distressing to you. Most likely your intrusive thoughts are not caused by pedophilia but more so from your Schizoaffective Disorder and possible Anxiety or OCD. I would recommend that in addition to your medication regimen you start to undergo Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to help lessen your symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the reason I'm thinking I'm a pedophile is because I have schizoaffective disorder?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

It is possible or it could be a co-occurring Anxiety/OCD disorder causing you to obsess that you are a pedophile when you are not, as this would explain the intrusive thoughts as well. I would listen to your psychiatrist when he/she says you are not a pedophile. Try to consider entering into therapy as this can help you to lessen your anxiety and understand your symptoms more.