Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

What does mean when my toddler displays -behaviours, like

Customer Question

What does mean when my toddler displays sexual-behaviours, like touching her peivate parts rqlly often? And asking her dad to kiss her bottom?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for your question. Most toddlers display behaviors of self-stimulation in the genital region because it feels good. Toddlers are exploring their body and finding things within themselves that feel good as self-control is not something they are capable of yet. So the child is not self-stimulating her genital area as a form of a sexual behavior as she does not know the term "sexual" at her age, but is actually just doing so because it provides sensory pleasure although she does not know why. So there is absolutely nothing to worry about in regards ***** ***** behavior as it is a normal part of childhood sexual development. Here is a good worksheet that can detail sexual developmental stages among children.

http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/saam_2013_an-overview-of-healthy-childhood-sexual-development.pdf

As for asking her father to kiss her bottom, it may be something she saw or heard because I highly doubt she understands the ramifications of what she is saying. If you explain that her private parts are her own and if you teach her appropriate names and behavior concerning private parts, it should stop that behavior.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.